Thursday, November 11, 2010

Gearing Up

I've always been an analytical person.  Since I've had Connor, however, I am always thinking ahead and planning.  I have a crazy spreadsheet for all my finances, come up with a weekly menu of meals, and keep a running list of what I need at various stores. 

Since Connor is turning six months old at the end of the month, that marks his entry into eating solid food.  And of course I've been gearing up for this much anticipated event.  I've read a ton of articles on what foods to start with, when, how, etc.  I recently purchased some baby cookbooks to help me along the way.  With all the crazy food recalls, toy recalls, and questionable additives to regular food, I made the decision to make my own baby food.  This should be an interesting journey, but I'd much rather know exactly what my baby is eating than some weird jar of who knows what.  The preservatives, sugar, and salt added to baby food is ridiculous! No wonder why we have an obesity epidemic in this country! 

So here are a couple helpful books and websites that I've been looking into for my baby food experience:

 

This book has tons of pictures to help you along the way.  It gives step by step instructions and also nutritional information for the various foods.  This is a must buy!





This breaks down what babies should eat at each age.  This has a variety of recipes full of pictures.  (can you tell I like to see pictures?)


I'm a big fan of babycenter.com for just quick easy reference material.  Here's their article on making your own baby food.

My friends Alana and Kristen gave me a lot of guidance in how to do this whole making my own baby food thing.  They suggested the website www.wholesomebabyfood.com and I just say it's amazing! Tons of great information!


So we shall see how this journey goes and how Connor likes food.  I bet he's going to love it because he's already trying to grab everything I eat and drink.  He loves drinking little bits of water from a cup.  He's such a big boy!  Wish me luck!!


2 comments:

  1. I am planning on making Belle's food as well- let me know how these books work out- I have a couple baby cookbooks but havent had time to look through them yet- I would be interested in comparing and sharing! xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. My cousin made her own food for her children, and I plan on doing so in a hundred years when its my turn to have a baby :) You could always ask Rhonda for help if you have any questions- she was a baby food making champ :)

    ReplyDelete